Sometimes work and the tasks in front of you can be overwhelming. You’ve got too many decisions to make, too many things that need a decision. You feel like a ball bouncing back and forth — and getting no where. Do what I do. I walk away, clear my mind, and do something else. Some suggestions:
- Talk a walk with your daughter.
- Play catch with your dog.
- Forgo that latte and muffin — sit in the sun and relax for ten minutes.
- Repot a houseplant. If you don’t have one, get one.
- Read something short and enjoyable, not work related.
- Cut a team meeting short and play a game with them.
- Make the decision and write it down on paper. Start something else, then come back and reread the decision. Any changes? New thoughts? Incorporate them.
Taking time away from what is blocking you often makes you feel better. Clearing your head makes space for solutions. There’s something to be said for woolgathering.